Friday, June 16, 2006

Leaving


My Fellowship in Jogjakarta is rapidly approaching its end. It's been a breathtaking, eventful year, both professionally and personally, and I wouldn't have it any other way, though everyone here could have done without the earthquake and the volcano, and I wouldn't have minded forgoing the wart...

All the teachers I've been building with this year survived the quake, but only two-thirds of them managed to pull themselves back to the seriously damaged campus for the final, and extra week of classes they requested. Of these 15, at least four lost their homes, and for the most part their towns, 2 are fairly seriously injured, and as a group they eleted to have class in the lobby of our building, feeling too skittish to concentrate in a 2nd-floor classroom far from the doors and open skies. They are wonderful group, full of promise, and I will miss them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home